Hi

Hi, Thanks for dropping by.

My name is Eileen but to friends in the card making world I'm known as 'ikki'. (which is pronounced I-KEY) From where or how this came about I'm not sure - it just got shorten from my original craft name of Ikemo by various friends along my crafting way! I started crafting whilst recouperating from an accident, and from my first attempts with peeloffs and paint - I was hooked! Now my passion is my BUG! and now BEADING!

In the Cupboard you will find ideas, news, tips and techniques to help you get more from this fab little machine. So come in - join the fun and Cuttle with me!


Monday 9 February 2009

Double embossing with your Cuttlebug

Today's tutorial looks at double embossing. My template method of embossing makes this possible using any folder, either the border folders or your A2 folders.

If you are of an inquisitive nature, you can scroll down and take a peek! But, otherwise this tutorial illustrates making a distressed card that I made for a challenge. Whether you choose to distress or not, the method for double embossing is the same, so.....

To make this card you will need
Cardstock to make a 6" x 4" card
Patterned paper for mat and flower - Handmade paper is best it's strong and takes manhandling Panel of plain card 4" x 3.1/2" (I used Core c/s so I could sand)
A2 Distressed Stripes Folder
A2 Texture Folder
Wide flower border from Frills Border set and template from last week
A template the fits the narrower borders of the frills set
Ink pad for flower petals,mat and card - I used TM Distress ink
Usual crafting tools

You are now ready to begin:


Card stock.
Make a 6 x 4 card and ink the edges

Preparing the mat.
Place patterned paper in A2 Texture folder and emboss, rub over with ink pad. Tear and ink edges top and bottom. Add to card.


Embossing panel
Place panel into border folder at an angle. Using template, emboss pattern three times. Tear and ink the edges top and bottom to match your base mat. Sand or not.




Your panel will look like this after sanding the cardstock

NOW for the double embossing
Place your panel in the Distressed Stripes folder at an angle so that the lines can be embossed between the border pattern. Again I have used a template, BUT this one is not as wide - it was made to fit three of the other patterns in the Frills Border set. You could use the same template you used to create the flower pattern, but I wanted a contrast of stripe widths.

You will not need to use the 2nd B Plate - the template will do that for you.

Finished panel when it had been sanded




Making the flower
Select A2 folder. I used the Texture. On the same patterned paper as you used for base mat - cut three circles with Nesties. (alternatively, you could cut freehand shapes). Place circles in folder and emboss. Cut and shape petals, curl edges, crumble paper, whatever, and ink edges. Remember you are after a distressed effect.

Your finished flower when attached to panel ready to be added to your card



and your finished card

As you will now be discovering, your Cuttlebug folders are more versatile than you first thought. You can use any folder to make a border by using a template. Next week I will use a shaped template for a completely different look, so I hope you'll drop by next Monday to see what's in the Cupboard - your views and comments on this week's tutorial will be appreciated and will assist me in finding out what peeps need to help them cuttle!

So, Keeeep Cuttling and I'll see you next week.






PS Forgot to add: If you are visiting from DC and do not have a blog, or google account - you can leave a comment by using the Anonymous box on the comments page, and please add your name and DC after your comment so I know you have visited. Thanks




15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial, love that distressed flower, definitely going to try that technique.
Julie Mae DC

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial. Might have to give it a go!

Christine said...

Thanks for this ikki have added myself as a follower, great tutorial.

Christine xx

Chrissie said...

What a gem of a tutorial!
The instructions are really clear and the finished effect is stunning!
Thank you SO much for sharing your expertise with us. Lucky us!

I'll be back for the next installment!
Chrissie

Melanie said...

oh I get it, very cool!

Heather said...

Another brilliant tutorial Eileen - I'm going to have to come back and try this one - (feet not touching at the moment)
hugs Heather xx

Carol Ann said...

I finally found the link to here! I liked your tutorial it was very informative and as someone who is very new to the cuttlebug it was very inspiring it has opened up a whole new lot of possibilities for me, thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have to show me. x

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great tutorial. Will definitely have a go at this. Have put your Blog on my Fav List, so I can look again. Kiwipinkers DC

Avenueswithoutlimit said...

luv the tut Ikki :) it's very clear :)
Maggie

Meda said...

I am so in love with flowers made of paper. Especially the layered and distressed like this one.
I used the same technique to make lollypop flowers for one of the cuttlebug challenges. I added you to my blog follow so I don't miss your lovely flowers.

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

WOW! Just amazing. I love the distressed look. It makes stunning flowers! :O)

Discount Cards said...

Great post and the main thing this will tell us what are thing required for the making the cards. I hope this will be helpful for the visitors.

Discount Cards said...

Great tutorial and this card shows how to make the inspiration kind of stuff. I hope the visitors will get some thing informative from this post.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. I need to study that!

Unknown said...

This a great tutorial. Thank you.

I need to study it again.

Jean DC