Hi

Hi, Thanks for dropping by.

My name is Eileen but to friends in the card making world I'm known as 'ikki'. (which is pronounced I-KEY) From where or how this came about I'm not sure - it just got shorten from my original craft name of Ikemo by various friends along my crafting way! I started crafting whilst recouperating from an accident, and from my first attempts with peeloffs and paint - I was hooked! Now my passion is my BUG! and now BEADING!

In the Cupboard you will find ideas, news, tips and techniques to help you get more from this fab little machine. So come in - join the fun and Cuttle with me!


Monday 24 May 2010

Make Nestabilitie Squares into Rectangles

How many times do you have a stamp that doesn't fit any of your Nestie dies?  I have a stamp that needs a rectangle mat, but no rectangle dies!  Well some dies can be changed - you can make your squares into rectangles.....

so, taking a piece of card with a straight edge.......

position your stamp and mark  with a pencil

position your square die and tape into position

your rectangle mat......
with a stamp positioner you can now use your stamp and be sure of getting it straight!
This stamp is a Charles Rennie Mackintosh design, which is difficult to colour unless you emboss it first.  This done, with the left over bit of card as a stencil  (as shown) and a make-up sponge and ink (or chalk) you can create  a straight line round the edge of your mat. 
I picked up this tip from Barbara Grey on one of her C&C shows.  Thanks Barbara, it's easy and works well - a good tip worth trying!

Things were going swimmingly up to this point....but.....then....disaster....

Being a meanie type of crafter, when my first stamped image had not embossed equally and not wanting to start again, I had stamped and embossed on the other side of the card, and...drat...it showed through the triple embossing, which also went pear-shaped because I'd somehow got some black bits in the powder!?!?!  So now I do have to start again, but  thought I'd show you this to make you smile, even laugh out loud - the principle works but on this occasion I didn't.  Oh, well - back to the cupboard! 

7 comments:

Eileen said...

Well ...for gawds sake ! you made 'a right pigs ear' of that ...lol (happens to me all the time but I am not brave enough to post !)I think it looks smashing ...even wiv the 'black bits'! Ex

Julia Dunnit said...

Been there!! Try the sponging technique with a ripped edge too - gives a lacy/organic finish which can be nice on the right card..great tip with the nesties again Ikki, ta!

Bettythebaglady said...

Ikki Just popped in to say -NO-I've not found THE needles. I used other needles. The ones missing are truly special-curved one,some wool ones, one with an eye suitable for ribbon threading. They are very old and just what you want when you need one!
I stencil my dies and I use them to dry emboss in the traditional manner when all I want is a dry embossed frame. I have a wizard hot foiling wand and I use nesties with that to create foiled frames. They look great. Love the cards Ikki and had a look at Eileen's too. They are lovely. Hugs BettyXXX

Twiglet said...

Love that little stamp and the cards below are fab - the embossed card just sets them off perfectly!!

Scrapcat 1 said...

thanks for the tip, I love the stamp and triple embossed it looks ceramic.

Colorado Crafter said...

What's an RM type of stamp? I try to remember to look at your blog each day, but since My Yahoo doesn't send out notices, I sometimes forget. But, I love your creativity and all the great ideas when I do look! Thank you for sharing!!!

ikki said...

Sorry Colorado, cannot contact you direct - so in answer to your question: Charles Rennie Mackintosh. ikki